Kate's Reviews > The Armchair Environmentalist: 3 Minute-a-Day Action Plan to Save the World

The Armchair Environmentalist by Karen Christensen

Mar 26, 08

bookshelves: consumer, library, improvement
Read in November, 2007

Some interesting ideas, but some things were clearly overlooked. Not enough explanation of WHY it is good to do certain things, and I felt like too many concessions were made.

For example, the author recommended using a push (manual-powered) lawnmower, but said that if you prefer to use a gas mower, set your blade as high as possible. And just left it at that, like a simple matter of preference! (When there are actually reasons for letting your grass grow higher, and setting it to "mulch", that have to do with how good it is for your lawn, etc.) Well, what about the option of an electric mower? I know in my own use that switching to an electric (battery powered, rechargeable) mower kept me from wheezing when I cut the grass because it removed gas fumes from the equation, which is a pretty reasonable option for people who aren’t about to switch to the totally hardcore old-school option.

Other weird things. Some good tips but some strange things which were left totally unexplained. Like, when you travel, “to reset your clock, get as much sunlight as possible” was followed by “Sex helps, too!” with no explanation as to how or why.

I don’t know, it was a quick read, I demolished it in two days commute. I think there were some cute ideas, like buying a set of cheap used plates and cutlery to take with you on picnics instead of taking disposable, and some good things to think about, but a lot of it seemed just randomly thrown together, even though it was grouped into six sections.

I think “Ecoholic” (by A.Vasil) is probably better, but certainly less cute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Armchair Environmentalist.