Lisa's Reviews > Ape House

Ape House by Sara Gruen

Jul 20, 11

Read in July, 2011

This novel captivated me from the beginning with the descriptive narrative about the Bonobo apes. Gruen not only described their physical attributes and behaviors, but gave each of the apes a personality. They were so realistic and it felt as it they were human beings with their comprehensive language skills and attitudes. Gruen did an amazing job describing the little things such as their favorite foods (like m&ms and pizza) and activities. As far as the characters went in this novel I loved the apes the best.

As I look back on the story I didn't really connect to any of the characters besides the apes. They were so vivid and real to me that I formed an instant connection with them. I loved learning about them and in fact researched them a little bit in between reading this novel. I can't believe how sexual they are. I didn't believe it when Gruen had this in her novel but one stop at youtube and I needed no further convincing.

I did have a hard time at a couple places in the novel because of the cruelty and treatment of apes at different facilities. I hate to think that those sections of the novel were realistic, but I'm sure I'm being naive.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and now I want to switch careers and go into something with Great Ape Linguistics. (I'd never actually do this, but it's fun to imagine, right?)

www.gardenofbooks.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ape House.