Mike's Reviews > In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Kim Cooper

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from July 20 to 24, 2011

"...there's something pure and infinite in you, that wants to come out of you, and can come out of no other person on the planet. That's what you've got to share, and that's as real and important as the fact that you're alive. We were able, at a really young age, to somehow protect each other so we could feel that. The world at large, careerism, money, magazines, your parents, the people at the rock club in your town, other kids, nothing is going to give you that message, necessarily. In fact, most things are going to load you away from it, sadly, because humanity is really confused at the moment. But you wouldn't exist if the universe didn't need you. And any time I encounter something beautiful that came out of a human somewhere, that's them, that's their own soul. That's just pure, whatever its physicality is, if the person can play piano, if they can't play piano, if they're tone deaf, whatever it is, if it's pure, it hits you like a sledgehammer. It fills up your own soul, it makes you want to cry, it makes you glad you're alive, it lets you come out of you. And that's what we need: we desperately need you."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

07/20/2011 page 17
16.0% "Didn't know this even existed until a few days ago. Excited."
07/21/2011 page 40
38.0% "I don't think I've enjoyed a historical account of anything this much in a long while. If you love Neutral Milk, find this book and read it."