S. James Nelson's Reviews > The Lair of Bones

The Lair of Bones by David Farland

Jul 20, 11

Read in July, 2011

The last few weeks the publishing world has been awash with excitement over the publication of GRRM's latest book. I'm sure it's stupendous fare. I read about 200 pages of the first book--if that much--and put it down. Just wasn't my style. I suppose that I am not in the audience for that particular book, despite the fact that I rather enjoy fantasy.

Today I finished a book that was my style. I am in its audience. And I can't help but feel a certain amount of wonder at the fact that others aren't as excited as I am about this series. The last book is yet to be written, but I understand that the author is finally about ready to write it.

I just read book four of the Runelords, The Lair of Bones. Five starts. Fantastic book. I haven't been this excited about a book since I finished reading Brandon Sanderson's third Mistborn book.

Quite simply, this is a fantastic book. It is book four in the series, and as I understand it, this book finishes the plotline for the characters introduced in book 1. New characters take the forefront starting in the next book. So, this is, in a sense, a end of types.

And what a fantastic end. Massive in scope, this book moves along quickly. I never felt like it was slow or that I wanted the plot to get going. It kept going the entire time. The characters are actually likable people. The elements of wonder are pervasive and convincing. The plot moves forward with every chapter. Elements from the three previous books are wound into the entire story. Plot threads are closed, and little things from earlier books come into play, and bear importance here.

If you like epic fantasy, this is about as good as it gets. A highly recommended read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lair of Bones.