Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Blood of the Demon

Blood of the Demon by Rosalie Lario

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: August 2, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://rosalielario.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, DEMONS OF INFERNUM
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Hot

Brynn Meyers has always known that she's different. Able to read an object's history just by touching it, and to defend herself by draining energy from others through touch, she has tried to live quietly and has established an art gallery using the money left to her after her parents' death. Her quiet life is shattered, one day, when a drop-dead gorgeous Keegan enters her gallery and knocks her out before kidnapping her. Waking in a strange room, she's horrified to discover that her powers don't work on him.

Keegan is a demon. However, demons are not inherently evil, nor do they all conform to the physical characteristics that humans have liked to categorize them with. Instead, demons are merely creatures from other dimensions, and just like humans, span a wide spectrum of good vs evil.

Desperate to shake off the legacy of hatred and pain that his father attempted to bestow on him and his three half-brothers, Keegan will do anything to prevent Mammon from succeeding in his latest plan to unearth the Book of the Dead. Capable of raising massive armies of the deceased, the Book of the Dead can only be wielded by an ancestor of the ancient Egyptian priest who created it.

Unfortunately for Brynn, she is the only living ancestor, and therefore the one human that Mammon will do anything to control. Knowing his duty is to protect Brynn from Mammon if possible, Keegan and his brothers have also sworn to execute her if necessary to keep the world safe. But when Keegan begins to fall for Brynn, he will have to learn to embrace the darker, deadlier side of him that he's tried so hard to suppress.

I admit, the first few chapters seemed to be missing something. I never was quite able to put my finger on it, but I'm very happy to say that as the story progressed, things either righted themselves or I merely stopped noticing, because this shaped up to be an absolutely incredible introduction into the Demons of Infernum series.

Keegan and his brothers are all smokin' hot, and I really enjoyed the whole Big Brother Protector vibe that Keegan had throughout the story.
There's just something about a broody alpha male that makes me all mushy for some reason. *dreamy sigh*

While I wish that Brynn's cool "power draining" ability had come into greater play, I admit that I enjoyed her character as a whole, despite her tendency to be a wee bit pigheaded. Having been able to protect herself for her entire life, it was rather understandable that she would on occasion ignore some of the danger she was in, simply because she's not used to truly being vulnerable.

The love scenes were deliciously intense, and the whole "forbidden romance" aspect helped to ratchet up the tension admirably.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and think it's going to make a hell of a series (pun intended) ;)
4/5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Demon.

08/01/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose May Have you read Mark of the Sylph yet? YOU MUST READ IT! THIS SERIES IS INCREDIBLE! I liked book 1 - but I LOVED book 2. Bump it up on your TBR

Jess the Romanceaholic I have! I'm like you, Book 1 was good, but Book 2 was fantastic :)

My Review of Mark of the Sylph