Ariel Uppstrom's Reviews > The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy SEAL

The Heart and the Fist by Eric Greitens

Jul 20, 2011

it was ok
Read from October 29, 2011 to July 24, 2012

I was pretty disappointed in this book. I think what he did was great and his story needed to be told, but the execution of that writing was poorly done. I think what I found most annoying, which I'm not sure he could have avoided, was the way Greitens would tell how he would have done something if he were in charge and that that solution was the perfect one without repercussions or flaws. I'm sure he didn't actually think this, but that's the way it came off in the writing. For example, when he discussed a period where the Department of Defense bureaucracy would get in the way of something, he'd repeatedly say that he would focus his money and efforts on building relationships via letting his soldiers have some change to buy fruit from the market and get to know the people, or use the money the government was funneling to build bases in foreign countries to pay and train good teachers. Though these solutions are much more understandable and things I agree with, the way he proposed the idea just came off arrogant and supercilious.

I think this is a good book for those who maybe don't know much about international problems or human rights issues during war time or for those interested in the training of Navy Seals, but I was left with disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart and the Fist.

10/29/2011 page 150