Richard's Reviews > Love Means... No Shame

M_50x66
Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: gay, romance, western
Read in June, 2011

I’d probably actually give this one 2.5 stars.

I liked this book, but it didn’t stand out for me. Everything is a bit … undercooked. The author has created interesting and engaging characters, but I feel like we could have gone deeper into them, and the story would have been so much richer for it. I’ll draw a comparison between Elijah being Amish, and his family disapproving of gay relationships; and Levi from Marie Sexton’s “Between Saints and Sinners” whose family is Amish and disapprove of gay relationship. Sexton doesn’t shy away from really digging into the Mormon belief system regarding homosexuality, how it can vary according to different Mormon viewpoints, and the deep psychological effects it has had on Levi. As a result, Levi becomes a complex, fully-fleshed out individual who shines on the page. By contrast, I like Elijah, but he just doesn’t have the pulse that Levi does.

Same for Geoff, Grey’s other romantic lead. His transition from sex-with-a-different-guy-every-night player to monogamist is just a little too pat; I can see why he makes the transition, but the author ends up telling rather than showing that he’s just tired of sex without connection. We never get to experience the psychological effects through the character’s experiences on the page.

The other elements of the book are the same: plot, setting, etc. Everything is in place for a really rich story, but it’s all kept a bit too simple, too superficial. As a result, the disparate elements never come together to create a shining story.

I will also say that I found the love between the main characters a bit saccharine. I’m totally a sucker for romantics, but this presentation was a bit much even for me.

This was good for one read, but I’m not sure how quickly I’ll re-read this one.

Mentioned:
Between Sinners and Saints

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Means... No Shame.