Rory's Reviews > Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday

Adrift in the Pacific by Jules Verne

Jul 20, 2011

bookshelves: kids, pre-1960
Read in July, 2011 , read count: twice

I read this when I was 10 years old and I thought it was fantastic. I came across it while on vacation and staying at a relative stranger's house. In hopes of not having to make conversation, I scanned a bookshelf for anything that seemed to have been published for children. This was obviously an adventure story (never my fave genre) but it was 1. my only option and 2. by an author I already recognized as "one of those important ones." I read it in one long sitting and it veritably transported me. I thrilled at the idea of an deserted island full of (in my imagination) cute, resourceful boys. It's been one of my most cherished reading experiences and I always knew I ought not re-read it, for risk of approaching it from a more critical age/angle. But I couldn't resist when I came across it in my ordering other Verne titles for our "Fiction Children's Classics" section. So, anyway, I re-read it and I was right: I should have just let it shine in my memory. This time it seemed dry, stilted, preposterous and boring. But in my heart I know it's not...I'm more willing to believe that I'VE become those things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adrift in the Pacific.

04/09/2016 marked as: read

Ivan Burda This is worth quoting: "This time it seemed dry, stilted, preposterous and boring. But in my heart I know it's not...I'm more willing to believe that I'VE become those things".

Rory Ivan wrote: "This is worth quoting: "This time it seemed dry, stilted, preposterous and boring. But in my heart I know it's not...I'm more willing to believe that I'VE become those things"."

Thanks, Ivan! For the compliment and for reminding me of the re-reading experience.