Ann's Reviews > Walter the Farting Dog

Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: animals, childrens-stories, comedy, dogs, pets, picture-books
Recommended for: nobody
Read on July 20, 2011, read count: 1

I could really find little redeeming value here. It's not that I mind a good gassy book - I can laugh and giggle over the tales of toots for ages. But, to me, the story-telling here just felt forced, and there didn't seem to be anything special in the writing. Plus, the illustrations kind of wigged me out.

That said, what I really could not support was the horrible attitude of the father. After the two children bring Walter home from the pound (where nobody wanted him, but they loved him), the family realizes Walter has an aromatic issue. They try to take him to the vet and change his diet (which, I thought was a good idea until they start feeding the dog junk food ...) but when the diet change doesn't work the father decides that the dog is going back to the pound! A) What an awful message for children: even though you can't do anything about an issue you have, you'll still be punished. And, B) no matter how sad this made the children to send Walter away, the father didn't care.

I don't know what message this book was trying to convey, but I think it sent far too many negative messages to make up for whatever redeeming message there may have been. Definitely not impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walter the Farting Dog.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Ann, Thanks for screening. I can tell this is a book I'd find highly disturbing and would likely not enjoy.

Kathryn Oh, gosh! Great review! Much funnier than the actual book. And I *so* agree with you! Haha, thanks for the chuckle!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann I was thinking about you, Lisa, while reading this and was like, "I don't think Lisa would like this at all!" lol!! :)

Kathryn actually did the initial screening and wanted to know my thoughts as well. As you can see, thankfully we were in accord ;)

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ann Kathryn wrote: "Oh, gosh! Great review! Much funnier than the actual book. And I *so* agree with you! Haha, thanks for the chuckle!"

Thanks :)