Stacy's Reviews > Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer

Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: life-stories, nonfiction
Read in September, 2011

I'd give the story itself four stars and the writing and execution of it two stars, which averages out to three stars. I think Lynne Cox's accomplishments are amazing, and I'm beyond impressed by her fortitude and endurance. I could only hope to exhibit a fraction of her drive in my own endeavors.

It took me a very long time to finish this book, only partly because I started it during the winter and it was too darn cold outside to enjoy reading a book about swimming in frigid water. I found the story compelling but the writing disjointed and hard to follow.

I didn't really understand who Lynne Cox was as a person by reading this book (particularly as she reached adulthood). The voice was almost like that of a child throughout. I kept hearing some variation of "Gosh! I was so honored by everyone's support of me, and all I really want is to swim to promote global peace and understanding!" I could have done with a little more nuance. But overall, it was a decent book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swimming to Antarctica.