Tara's Reviews > Groundswell

Groundswell by Katie Lee

Jul 20, 11

Read in June, 2011

This book is totally CUTE. Hollywood. Slightly Shallow. Chick Lit. Great love story. Yes. This is THE perfect beach read. What girl hasn't dreamed of meeting a huge Hollywood star and have him fall head over heels for you? Here's the basic plot: Movie star meets small-town girl, love and marriage! HURRAY! Throw in a jealous best friend and a cheating husband Ummm, not so hurray....Add in a quiet beach resort and a super hot, amazing surf instructor...back to HURRAY!

Often in Chick Lit, the main character will just annoy me. They will make stupid decisions, act like a complete ditz or just generally be an irritating person. However, this wasn't the case in Groundswell. Emma had a good, solid head on her shoulders, and she wasn't swept up in being the perfect fake, stereotypical Hollywood wife.

The ending just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Because seriously, a lot of endings lately have been cliffhangers and they just suck and make me crazy or they end up being terribly sad . Y'know I've had enough with the SAD. I've read countless books with the sad and forlorn lovers and the whining...Ohhh, the whining. Boo-hoo.....This ending rocked.

Katie Lee was actually married to a celebrity, Billy Joel. I read in an interview over at CBS that she had "The Paris Wife" on hold at the library. I love that she goes to the library! That's so cool! (I don't know why that's so exciting to me but, it just is!) Celebrity Wives, errr former celebrity wives use the library too! Anytime a celebrity writes a novel, I have to wonder how much it's a reflection on their life. (Perfect example: Lauren Conrad with the LA Candy series, REALLY NOW?)

The surfing part of this book really doesn't come in until almost the very end, so I don't know why the first line of the summary is EAT SURF LOVE. It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with surfing. (Unless, the finished copy is completely different from the eGalley I received).

This is a very cute love story (also YES, FINALLY a book that isn't part of a series) and a great beach read. If you're a fan of Lauren Weisberger or Emily Giffin, I'd suggest taking this one along on your summer vacation!

Judge a Book By It's Cover: Sorry to say, but I think the cover looks kind of cheesy. Why is there a diamond (a super gorgeous diamond, I might add) just randomly thrown on the cover? I would never guess from the cover what the book was about. The story inside is much better!

*Disclosure: I received an eGalley courtesy of Simon & Schuster.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Groundswell.