Laura's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Jul 20, 11

This book was really forced upon me. I wasn't REALLY one to want to read this, but after some persuasion, and a little bribery, I ordered it on amazon, and started reading. Granted, I think this book is a very good read if someone is trying to understand the life of someone with an eating disorder or trying to hide their sexuality. Portia de Rossi clearly struggled, and she was not afraid to reveal her secrets. However, all this being said, I don't advise someone that is struggling with an eating disorder, or has struggled in the past. It's an extremely triggering book, one that I could only read for a certain amount of time before I had to put it down and remember what healthy is. While she exploits her darkest times, it can feel like it's happening to you. I started to find myself thinking along the same lines as her. Truth be told, I even started to relate to her on some points, which really scared me. Especially things I have considered normal for so long, which are apparently not normal.

She wrote a lot about herself, obviously, but I wish she had branched out and written more about her interactions with people, and how she saw the people around her.

With everything being said, I' think de Rossi is EXTREMELY brave for writing this story. I don't think I could ever do it (even if someone wanted to read my life story).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.