Linda's Reviews > You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life

You Are Not Your Brain by Jeffrey M. Schwartz

719063
Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

I don't even think I've made it to chapter two yet, and already I feel the need to pontificate. Not a good sign.

Never mind the deadly earnest tone of the audiobook narrator, I wanted to quibble with the author before I even started to listen. As a matter of fact, I *am* my brain. If you don't believe me, have yours surgically removed, then get back to me.

The author has cast the brain in the role of enemy. I kid you not-- your devious, nasty brain is the cause of all your problems. Who's the hero riding to the rescue? You're not going to believe this. It's your mind. Yes, the book differentiates between your brain and your mind.

I think someone might be out of his brain mind.

I'm going to keep listening, but it's hard to focus when quotes keep popping into my head:

"Brain and brain. What is brain?"
"My brain hurts."
"What do you want to do tonight, Brain?"
"...if I only had a brain."

Update: I wasn't able to finish it. Not because I didn't want to, but because there was a hold and I couldn't renew it.

But here's what I got from three-quarters of it in a nutshell:

It seems that your brain sends you messages, and they're deceptive. Yep. There are these messages. They're from your brain. They're deceptive. Mmm-hmm. These deceptive messages from your brain are the problem. It's your brain, and it's sending messages. These messages are (wait for it)-- deceptive. You should ignore the messages, because they're deceptive, and they're from your brain.

There was something about an unhappy childhood, and an "uh-oh center". I googled for a map of the brain, and strangely enough, they didn't have the "uh-oh center" labeled.

There actually are some helpful techniques in the book which could be good for weight loss, repetitive/obsessive thoughts and behavior, etc, but I think they could have been presented in a pamphlet-length document.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not Your Brain.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by John (new)

John you think the author is retarded yet you rate it three stars? do you ever give a low rating?

Linda John wrote: "you think the author is retarded yet you rate it three stars? do you ever give a low rating?"

I searched my review, and failed to find the word "retarded." There were some good things in the book-- hence the mention of "helpful techniques." My primary beef was with the use of the extended metaphor "brain versus mind." As for giving a low rating, I give two stars more often than one, because I hate knee-jerk one star ratings even more than knee-jerk squeeing five star ratings. My most recent one star review was on Oct 12 of this year, so yes, I do give low ratings when I think they're deserved.

I see you haven't given any books any ratings at all, but thanks for stopping by and throwing stones.