Nan's Reviews > Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

Jan 21, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, ebook, romance, young-adult
Read on June 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

As the book opened, I wasn't certain that I'd enjoy it. As an adult reader of YA books, I tend to like my books to have a certain level of sophistication in writing. Roughly, I tend to like books aimed at older teens. This book was clearly set for younger audience than I'm used to.

However, once the plot got moving, I got sucked into the story. It's a fairly straightforward plot--a young noblewoman is identified as a magic user. Magework is socially unacceptable, so her father sends her away to a very expensive school that can teach her to control and eventually bind away her magic. However, upon arrival, Tory learns that not everyone agrees with the mission of the school and begins to question why magework is so unacceptable.

Add in a cranky roommate, a love interest at the neighboring boy's school, and some time travel, and you've got this book.

There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

I do wish that Putney had written for a slightly older audience, though. There are hints throughout the book at the way in which social control is used to condemn magic, and there are hints of deeper relationships at work. I would have liked to see those hints developed further. As it stands, this is an enjoyable three star book for me. I'd rather have given it four, but I'm just a little too old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Mirror.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shera (Book Whispers) I would think for a story like this that it would be targeted at older YA readers.

I'm a little bummed about it now.

message 2: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan Shera, I think part of the problem is the fact that the author writes adult romance under the name Mary Jo Putney. In order to separate her YA work from her adult titles, she went too far on the side of simplifying her writing.

An older YA book that I really liked lately was Darker Still. It's Victorian rather than Regency, so the period is much different. However, it's a great spin on both The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as well as the more obvious The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Shera (Book Whispers) Oh, I've had Darker Still on my list for some time. I'll have to move it up!