Simcsa's Reviews > The City of Ember

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: dystopian-apocalyptic, read-in-2011
Read from July 22 to 23, 2011

The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she's sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever!

I suppose The City of Ember would be a good choice for children (9-13 years old) and if I was younger I would appreciate it much more.

My main problem? I was almost always step ahead of Lina and Doon and I could see where the story was going. Sometimes I also couldn't suspend my disbelief. No, I don't mean the "two children are going to save the world the city" thing, because I'm quite used to this and I can overlook it, when the book is good. However, how long would you mourn when your beloved family member would die? How far can you throw something? The end was totally far-fetched - at first Lina's unbelievable stupidity (view spoiler)

However, I did like that I could rest from a romance for a while. It's tiresome and sticky to see it in almost every new YA book.

I will sum up all my feelings: The concept is fabulous, yet it lacked unexpected turns and twists, the writing is smooth, but simple and it reads fast, still you are left with dissatisfied taste on your tongue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Ember.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juan (last edited Dec 04, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Juan Mitchell City of ember does seem to be more of a read for young adolescents. Reading it, I got this Hunger Games type feel (in which I am not a huge fan of) that younger kids like. I'm also with you on the romance thing that you see in almost every young adult book. I liked Jeanne's map of the city of Ember showing the citys layout, but I agree that this concept could've been much better.