Isamlq's Reviews > The Juliet Spell

The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees

Aug 09, 11

Read from August 05 to 06, 2011

2.75/5

Not a retelling (thank gosh!) Cute? Right now though two things are clear: it was sometimes improbable but mostly sweet.

That it involved magic spells was not what rang unlikely to me. That it involved a time travelling English man boy was not a big deal either. I came into Juliet Spell knowing these two things. Rather, it was the characters reactions that confounded me. Everyone was so OK with how things unfolded. On a side note, I found the weeping that took place quite novel if a little annoying. Now to the reactions, Drew's and Miri's mother reacted very surprisingly... both simply went with the flow. Another improbable was the forgiving nature of both mother and daughter.

While the characters aren't the best of what I've read of late, they are different, cute and entertaining in their own right. Our Juliet is Miri; she's a take charge kind of girl but sometimes came off as (a lot of the time) clueless. Sometimes I liked her, other times I wanted her to open her eyes. One moment she's focused; the next she's so desperate to get the boy to like her. But at least she had a good relationhip with her mother! And speaking of, her mother was so easy going; too easy going, in fact, that I found her a tad unrealistic. Juliet/Miri's Romeo is a time travelling Englishman (an unintentional one, of course) was hilarious and annoying and cute and not as simple as I originally thought.

As to the rest of the players, some were developed, others were just extra. The one who stands out though is Drew: what a handy guy to have around! His explantion of the how behind the time traveling was long winded and confusing but entertaining to hear. It's obvious where the story was headed once he started showing up more... and that this was not obvious to Miri herself, is another one of those improbables.

But if the characters were OK with how things were, then so be it... I am too. Why? It's simply not meant to be taken too seriously; it's a simply a sweet love story... (view spoiler)

Thanks Netgalley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Juliet Spell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza i hope this book isn't like tris & izzie. for some reason it seems kinda like it. and that book is positively the worst book i've (attempted to) read this year.

i'm actually shocked you gave it two stars. :|

Isamlq Aleeza wrote: "i hope this book isn't like tris & izzie. for some reason it seems kinda like it. and that book is positively the worst book i've (attempted to) read this year.

i'm actually shocked you gave it tw..."

gosh, i just saw this! tris and izzie was actually 1.5 i just couldnt give a one... i reserve that for the worst... juliet spell was just cute nothing stellar just cute :)