Denise's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Oct 14, 11

Read from July 20 to October 13, 2011

5+ out of 5 stars - This is one of the best books I have ever read!

I finally finished Cutting for Stone -- I put the first disk in my car CD player in July. To say it was magnificent and a masterpiece is true for me, but it was so much more than that. An experience. I felt like I KNEW those people and loved them dearly and I'll miss them from now on. I had to wait to write some sort of review because I could barely breathe after I finished and I wanted to go back and start the story all over again. How lucky to be a person just beginning to meet and learn the history of the Stone family... To say it's one of my favorite books is not an understatement. There are many reasons why it touched me, I don't know if the book resonated so much because of the medical and OR stuff or because of the story, but the combination was overwhelming!

I have read thousands of books in my lifetime and this is one of my top five. At this moment in time, I can't even name others besides Gone with the Wind as far as a book having a deep and lasting impact on me.
This is going to be ONE OF THOSE......Sure there are books I liked a lot --but not many like this come along for a person in her lifetime. This was that book for me. Perhaps a lot of it was because I was first and foremost once an OR nurse who lived and breathed and loved surgery. But it was more than about surgery. It was about family and struggles and survival -- ultimately forgiveness and redemption.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth and please read it. I was lucky enough to get to listen to the audio version and I also read the actual book. I'd listen in my car while driving to work and then catch up to where I left off when I got home. Hearing the words spoken and pronounced with that fantastic voice and accent really made the book come alive for me. I would urge everyone to get this audiobook version instead of reading it if you can! ENJOY!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

07/24/2011
10.0% "Loving this -- it's audio CD so it's going to take me awhile!"
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't want to miss your review on this book. Please alert me.

Denise Will do, but it will take quite a while because it is on audio and I only listen in my car and my commute is like 5 minutes! Give me your impression of it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

It was beyond my comfort zone at points with the medical details, but the story was really good.

Denise I'm looking forward to it for precisely those medical details LOL!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! Well, I felt like I could actually perform some minor surgeries once I was done so enjoy!

Denise I love it!

Denise OK I never ever want to finish this book because I love the characters so much and this story. I am going slowly and listening on audio and also reading the book.

Linda I have enjoyed a summer of reading but I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this one. I am page 200, and so far I have loved it. Denice, I posted an update on some site and told you one reason--make that two--that the book spoke to me. Did it get posted? Also, the book I won came, I acknowledged its receipt. Send note at your convenience. Linda

Denise I am so glad you are loving the book! I did not see the other update anywhere.

Denise Have you finished it and what did you think?