Arlene's Reviews > Pure

bookshelves: arc, greek-mythology, read-2012, ya-paranormal, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker ARC Tour - Alexa
Read from February 01 to 06, 2012

PURE Excitement!!

What an absolutely great installment for the Covenant series! This is quickly becoming one of my favorites, right next to Morganville. Bold statement coming from me. Yes, I know. :) But, I was absolutely hooked the entire time, so there you go.

In Pure, Alex is not only battling her demons in the aftermath of her mom’s death, but also the Council’s impending trial over her involvement in the events that went down in Gatlinburg is weighing on her in a harsh way. She’s training harder than ever as her Awakening approaches, and as each day goes by, her relationship with Aiden and Seth becomes more and more complicated. Right before her trip to the Council, daimons attack is the Covenant and just when Alex thought she’d lost so much, this event proves how difficult the road ahead is turning out to be.

There’s so much to say about this book that I surely can’t cover everything in one short review, so let me pick a few things that stood out for me.

Okay, first let me start off with this whole love triangles business. Well I’ve developed a low tolerance for them. I know they are an inherent part of YA Paranormal, but I’m surely not the only one to admit they’ve becoming annoying and predictable even borderline tiresome, right? Soooo…. excuse me while I kick myself for fan-girling over the Alex, Aiden, Seth triangle. I.AM.HOOKED!! And I’m declaring TEAM SETH right now! That’s right!

Second, I love.love.love Seth’s character. He’s arrogant, funny as hell, arrogant, sensitive, arrogant, squee-worthy, oh and did I mention arrogant? HA! I love that about him. I really enjoyed the moments between Alex and Seth, they are witty and the chemistry between these two can’t be ignored. I’m not stupid to deny he’s positioned to lose this triangle battle, so I’m making my plea right now… Jennifer Armentrout, please, please, please Seth FTW!!

Okay enough of that, if you can’t tell by now, I love this series. There’s action, intrigue, romance that’s all tied to a lore that’s uniquely Armentrout’s by design. I’m not extremely well versed in mythology and all that gods business, so I find myself entertained by her storytelling. She’s in control of this journey and I’m fully on board for the adventure!

Finally, I can’t wait to figure out who the baddie(s) are. My guesses are floundering all over the place. I have absolutely no clue who is trying to stop Alex’s Awakening. One moment I think it’s Leon, then Laadan, sometimes I feel it’s Lucien. Oh my gods! At one point I even thought it was Seth just because of a pointed “calculated” look he delivered. Paranoid much? Yeah, I say so! But that’s what makes this series exciting for me and I can’t wait for more. Fun and addicting! More please...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

Arlene Thanks Amreen! I'm starting it tonight. I loved the prequel and book 1 so I'm hopeful. :)

Arlene Surely. :)

~Tina~ Happppppppy Readdddinnnnnggggg!!!! Muahaha!!

Arlene I'm counting down before I get home and lock myself in my room. Squeee!!! :D

~Tina~ In just another week we can post our reviews and rant, rave and gush together!! Squeeeeeeeee!

Arlene That's right babycakes! HA! I'm so excited about this one!! Anything steamy/exciting I should look forward to? LOLOL

Alexa Man, I can't believe Feb is already next week! o.o I still haven't finished my review! x_x >.>;;

Arlene Okay, just to make sure I get this straight... no reviews get posted till next week? I can't believe January is almost over. Time flies ... fast!

Arlene LOL Amreen. You should see the bruises I left on Tina fighting her for this book. See... over there??? She's hiding from me. :P

~Tina~ I'm actually not sure how to answer that Arlene. There's steam and then there is steamy ~evil laughter~

This year is already going quick. I wrote my review right after I read it but I want to discuss since it's still semi-fresh.

message 11: by Alexa (last edited Jan 27, 2012 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa Arlene wrote: "Anything steamy/exciting I should look forward to? LOLOL"

haha
*nods nods* OH YEAH. *ahem* ;)

Arlene wrote: "Okay, just to make sure I get this straight... no reviews get posted till next week? I can't believe January is almost over. Time flies ... fast!"

Right. Reviews can start being posted in Feb. :)

~Tina~ Arlene wrote: "LOL Amreen. You should see the bruises I left on Tina fighting her for this book. See... over there??? She's hiding from me. :P"

Tis true;)

Arlene Oh wow! I might not sleep tonight. I might just pull an all nighter. You Bookers... you! You have me curious as h3ll!

Okay, I'll be good and not post my review. I think I've screwed this up in the past, so thanks for reminding me. :)

~Tina~ I love Half-Blood and Pure equally:)

Screwed up is to harsh my love. You've just been overly excited in the past:)

Arlene LOL Tina! You know me so well. When I have something to say about a book... I just have to say it. Okay, I can do this. I can keep quiet until February... No.no.no... no need for a muzzle... :P

You love them equally? Oh yay! This is Pure Excitement! Get it?? :D

~Tina~ I know what you mean, it's been really hard sitting on this review for so long. When you love a book this much you want to SCREAM it out loud!!

HA! I lub you!

Arlene I might just have to post my review at the Corner. Can we do that? LOL

I haven't been this excited for a sequel since... since... last week's Fifty. LOL Just kidding. This is a different kind of excitement. :)

Lubs ya back Tina. :D

~Tina~ Hey now, there's an idea. We can discuss it at the corner after you've read it. I may be shady with some of the details but I think I remember most of what happened, or well the important stuff anywho's:p

This ranks right up there with the Morganville books for me. You know when we get all crazy and start bouncing around everywhere. I adore Jennifer's books!!

Arlene NEKKID SHANE!!! :D God I love those books. Yup, that's the same feeling. I'm always bouncing in my seat for the next book. :P

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim God, you girls are pervs! ;)

~Tina~ Well, we did learn from the best;) ^^

message 22: by Arlene (last edited Jan 28, 2012 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene Awww Kim you flatter me with your compliments. :P

Amreen, we're reading an ARC and I believe the publishers may have asked to hold off on posting reviews for a bit. Possibly ... I'm just told what to do and I try to follow the rules ....try... :)

message 23: by Jenn (new)

Jenn A- are you at least loving the book? Are you able to say that much?? :o)

Arlene Yes, Jenn. I'm enjoying it a lot. Haven't had much time to read, but tomorrow I should be able to get through most of it. :)

Amber Enjoy, Arlene!!

Arlene I'm only half way through. I'm really loving it, but work has really cramped my lifestyle this week. Thank god it's the weekend. I'll finish it tonight... even if I need a double shot of expresso. :D

Arlene LOL, yes, but only when it gets between me and a good book. :) Thank you! You too! :)

~Tina~ Your killing me Arlene! Are you liking this?

Arlene Ohhhhh I sure am!! Ummmm I'll tell you now, I'm Team Seth.

~runs and hides~

Jessica TEAM SETH??? How can one be Team Seth if there's Aiden?! ;-) Well, I haven't read the sequel so maybe I'll end up being Team Seth as well. Who knows... :-) Have fun with this one, Arlene :-)

Arlene LOL Oh yes. I really like Seth in this book oh so much better than Aiden. >.< Must be my curse to always fall for the hot mess that no one else seems to care for. LOL :P

~Tina~ Arlene wrote: "Ohhhhh I sure am!! Ummmm I'll tell you now, I'm Team Seth.

~runs and hides~"

SAY WHAT?!?!? ~whines~ Arlllennne, your not suppose to fall for him what am I gonna do with you women!!

~breaths~ jk, you can love who ever you want babycakes. He really did have some great moments. It's funny cause you did this with Adrian (VA) LOL. You loved Dimika for awhile there and but in the end you ended up falling for Adrian more:p

message 33: by Alexa (last edited Feb 03, 2012 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa ~Tina~ wrote: "That might happen with me too if Aiden doesn't get his act together in the next book LOL"

(view spoiler)

Arlene LOL!! I can't help it... Seth, Adrian, Keenan, Peeta... oh wait... everyone had Peeta FTW. :P

Words and actions are big for me. Seth is winning in this department where Aiden... GAH! Come on! I know he loves her, why is he being so difficult? (I know why, but still!)

Oh and Alexa, I didn't click on the spoiler... yet. :D

message 35: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 03, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Alexa wrote: "~Tina~ wrote: "That might happen with me too if Aiden doesn't get his act together in the next book LOL"

[spoilers removed]"

Now, that doesn't make me want the third book even more now. Oh no. Not at all >.< LOL
Yay's!! I'll be crossing my fingers for that!

@Arlene- Yeah Aiden is being really difficult and I was so pissed at him in Pure which is where Seth weaseled his way in my heart, but still. I can't help but love my Aiden XD

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Nice review Arlene!! :o) I'm still TEAM AIDEN though.I'm right there with you on the love triangles. They are well over rated for sure!! And Morganville Vamps, well what can I say...I LOVE that series too. Thanks for making me even more excited to read Pure. :o)

Arlene LOL Sam!! I think I'm the only one that's SETH FTW. :D So you're probably on the winning team.

Thank you so much! I was pretty excited over this one. Yes, love triangles annoy me, but ohmygods, this one was too addictiing to just ignore. (view spoiler) I really liked Aiden in the first two installments, but he was so MIA in this book, that I started not to miss him. He frustrated me in this book, but I know his reasons are noble. ~stomps foot~ I just want Seth to get his HEA.

So amazing. I can't wait for the next one. :D

♥Rachel♥ Oh Arlene you whet my appetite! Team Seth?!! I can't wait to read this. Excellent review. :)

Arlene Thank you Jennifer. Yes, most of the fans seem to be Team Aiden. For some reason I'm always on the opposite side of the fence as you can see from my list above. I'll even admit now, I was team Jacob back in the day. :P I love Morganville so it's fun to have another series where I anticipate the new installments. Hope you enjoy this as must as I did. :)

message 40: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I hope he gets his HEA too but not with Alex. LOL!!!!
Dang, I hate when my favorites are MIA. I will be stomping my foot because he's MIA. :o( I guess it's good for Alex to check her options. A little of both flavors can't hurt to try. HA HA!

Arlene Thank you Rachel! I hope you enjoy it. LOL! Yes, Team Seth. I'm on this island all by myself. Want to join me? :D

Arlene LOL Exactly Jennifer. I just hope Seth doesn't get hurt because Alex is "checking her options." I can't wait to see how you feel about Aiden after this one. :)

message 43: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Oh crud. LOL Well I'm sure from the sounds of it he will be ticking me off. :o) Dang it!!!!!!

~Tina~ LOL Arlene!! LOVE the review! And yes, Seth is a very arrogant character and I hate that he made me love him. Boooooooooo! I don't mind love triangles, when done right it can be the best thing about a story. This is one of them. May the best Aiden man win;-)

♥Rachel♥ Arlene wrote: "Thank you Rachel! I hope you enjoy it. LOL! Yes, Team Seth. I'm on this island all by myself. Want to join me? :D"

I'll let you know after I read Pure. I wouldn't count me out though! :)

message 46: by Alexa (last edited Feb 06, 2012 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa hehe Great review, Arlene! I'm with you on the evil ppl or whatever they want to be called. When I think it's someone, I change my mind & think it's someone else. :p So, I'm suspicious of everyone! (Well, except 2 characters. ;P *ahem*) Can't wait to find out who it is! >:)

~Tina~ Alexa wrote: "hehe Great review, Arlene! I'm with you on the evil ppl or whatever they want to be called. When I think it's someone, I change my mind & think it's someone else. :p So, I'm suspicious of everyone!..."

I think my guess was Lucien...I can't remember though. It's written in the book though o.o lol

message 48: by Arlene (last edited Feb 06, 2012 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene @ Jennifer. If Aiden ticks you off in this one, it'll only be for a little while because we soon see why he's making the choices he makes. Don't get me wrong, I'm Seth all the way, but I see why Aiden does or doesn't do or say the things we want him too. Clear as mud I'm sure. :D

@ Tina. LOLOL! Don't think I didn't notice you only mentioned Seth ONCE in your review. You're a closet Seth l0ver. I get it. :D I couldn't help but fall for him in this one. But you know me, it was bound to happen. XD

@ Rachel. I'm so eager to see how you feel about this one. Don't make me start chanting. :D

@ Alexa. I was cracking up at the notes in the book. I wasn't the only one that thought Leon? Lucien? Laaden?? Oh cr%p Seth??!! Everyone seemed to be all over the place. :D Thank you so much for touring it. :)

@ Sam. Yeah, all of cupid's arrows are pointing in Aiden's direction. bummer...

Kristy Waving my Team Seth flag with pride ;)

I am dying now for #3! And, I am right there with you being paranoid... I have no idea who is really bad!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!

Arlene HA! Kristy yay!! I want 3 now too!! :D