Gerald Givens's Reviews > The Fires of Heaven

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

Jul 20, 11

Read in June, 2011

The saga of Rand al'Thor's rise as the Dragon Reborn continues in another story of revelations, thickening plots, and dramatic landscapes in The Fires of Heaven. The most notable aspect of the novel is the absence of one of the three main characters, Perrin. As with its predecessor, The Shadow Rising, I have a hard time remembering exactly where the story starts off. They blur together after a time, the consequence of such a series.

Jordan continues the story with Rand leaving the Aiel Waste and making a name for himself in his own land as the Dragon Reborn. At the same time, there is turmoil on the other side of the world as secondary characters face off against the evils of the Dark One. Subplots are revealed and foreshadowing is seen in every chapter. I can tell that the story is continuing its climb toward an epic climax.

I believe that I've mentioned this before in my reviews, but my one pet-peeve about this series is that everything would be so much easier for the characters if they didn't keep secrets from one another. I find that this is how Jordan keeps the plot moving, but it can be frustrating that two characters who are friends keep vital information from one another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fires of Heaven.