Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Storm's Heart

Storm's Heart by Thea Harrison

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: arcs, pararnormal-romance, elder-races
Read from July 20 to 21, 2011, read count: 1

Thea Harrison has a gift for writing Alpha heroes. First, she gave us Dragos... And now we have Tiago. (**sigh**) We first met the Thunderbird during the last story and honestly, I was a little disappointed that he would be the next Wyr to get his own book. We didn't really get to know him in Dragon Bound, except as a hulking, intimidating sentinel, who was fighting with Tricks. But sometimes an author knows what we want better than we do. This is one of those times.

As the story begins, Tricks has left the Wyr kingdom behind and is going to claim her place as the Queen of the Dark Fae. Things go bad quickly, when she is the target of an assassination attempt. So Dragos sends Tiago to find and protect her.

Even though Tiago and Tricks both worked for Dragos for hundreds of years, they didn't interact much. Now that they are thrown together, the fireworks are unmistakable. Tiago is commanding, powerful and sexy. And Tricks eats it up with a spoon. The sexual tension between these two was outstanding! What's more, there were plenty of opportunities for familiar tropes to take hold: lack of communication; big misunderstandings; self-sacrifice for the other person's supposed happiness or safety. I kept waiting for the inevitable, familiar roadblocks to fly up. There was one scene in a nightclub, where I was just so sure we were going to have all three devices take hold at once... I swear I was already rolling my eyes. But Thea Harrison sidesteps the conventional foils, leaving me jumping up and down on the sofa, hooting like an idiot. (Yes, I can admit that.)

In the meantime, there is a great storyline going on. We're treated to lots of action, as Tricks and Tiago fend off her enemies. And we've got a great mystery to solve as our couple works to figure out who is trying to kill her. As much as we learned about the Wyr in the last book, now we're getting a peek inside some of the other Elder Races. Harrison reveals more details about the inner workings of the Dark Fae and the Vampyres. And we travel to Adriyel, the magical Dark Fae land.

This book gave me everything I wanted. A hot Alpha hero, a smart and resourceful heroine... love, sex, action, adventure, strong secondary characters, and world building that is both consistent and easy to understand. The Elder Races series is a PNR fan's dream. Thank you, thank you, Thea Harrison. I'm pretty sure I love you. 5 stars.

ARC Provided by Berkley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm's Heart.

07/20/2011 page 75
22.0% "(**Sigh**) Loving it so far." 1 comment
07/20/2011 page 280
83.0% "I don't want it to end!!" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lesley Ooohhhh I cannot WAIT to read it now

message 2: by Zeek (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek oo dont review it yet. That's like bragging about being tall, naturally blond and skinny with proportionate big boobs! :P

Zeek (just kidding btw, review away. But I'm still gonna be jealous as if you were all of the above. haha!)

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) If it makes you feel any better... You can be assured that while I do have this book, I am not tall, blond, or skinny.

Does that help at all?

Nita So it looks likes the 2nd is as good as the 1st? Awesome.

Zeek nah- the jealousy still feels the same. haha!

message 7: by Zeek (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek its ok srsly just messin with ya- you worked hard to get in position for ARC's- I was just to lazy to fight for it!

You deserve the rewards- and these kinds of books are indeed rewards because I KNOW you had to slog thru some total bores to get there! (I know because I tried. I threw in the towel early on!)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Yes, Nita. I thought so!

I'm sorry, Zeek. I know what you mean about the jealousy. I feel that way about people who have already received Retribution or One Grave at a Time.

message 9: by Zeek (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Jen wrote: "Yes, Nita. I thought so!

I'm sorry, Zeek. I know what you mean about the jealousy. I feel that way about people who have already received Retribution or [book:One Grave at a Time..."

Great- now I am of them too! bitches.

Ha!

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) LOL!!

message 11: by jD (new) - added it

jD Thanks for hitting the deets I wanted to know. I was not feeling that Thunderbird/Dark Fae thing for book two. I am glad you clarified that it was the right 'next' book. I am okay with you getting the ARC because there is a downside -- what if you hated it? How were you gonna say that about a much anticipated book? I would not want to be the one to do it. LoL

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) That's how I felt reading Lord of the Vampires. So many people were eagerly anticipating that one (myself included) and then... I was not happy with it. It was an uncomfortable review to write.

With this one, however, it's all good! I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did.

message 13: by jD (new) - added it

jD I am having that problem with the review for Michelle Hauf's book Ashes of Angels. I am trying to find a way to write this review to capture the few things I liked. If it was not an ARC, I would put it on blast as chaotic and fragmented. It does not reflect Ms. Hauf's intelligence and talent. It's like a box cake instead of one from scratch. Yuck.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I read that last week and struggled with it as well. :(

message 15: by jD (new) - added it

jD Books like that confirm for me why I can't become a professional reviewer. I am a marketing executive by career and have to put a positive spin on things that are often substandard. I do it for a paycheck all the time but don't want to do it for the thing I love most -- books. On the other hand, it feels good to find a self-published gem and to encourage others to give it a shot. At the end of the day, it is all subjective.

message 16: by Jen (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) So true! I try to find something positive to say if at all possible, because I know how much these authors pour themselves into their stories. It's a rare book that I can't find a little something nice to say.

I love "finding" a book. For instance, I really enjoyed Cameo the Assassin... which would have never crossed my path if the author had not reached out. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm really glad you enjoyed this, Jen!

♥ Sarah ♥ Great review Jen! Really good to hear the second book lived up to the first. I still haven't read Dragon Bound. I finally have my hands on it though. I have no doubt I'll love it, considering practically all PNR fans seem to! :)

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Can't wait to read this! I loved the first book.