James Tyrrell's Reviews > The Social Contract

The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: social-theory, philosophy
Read from October 05 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

To sum up Rousseau in a brief comment would be difficult so I wont try. I think he had all the right motivations but truly underestimates the nature of people to abuse what is written. I respectfully disagree with some of his conclusions about the will of the people being far more important than individual viewpoints. But I heartily agree with his comments on the separation of religion and politics. He has a tendency to write all the negative points towards the end of a chapter which leaves you thinking he fully endorses one idea unless you read completely and carefully.

Finally due to the period of history he was writing in (prior to even the American war of independence) he uses terms that can confuse the modern reader into thinking of something else terms like sovereign, aristocracy, monarchy and dictators should be re-examined and carefully weighed in a sentence otherwise great confusion can occur.

Certainly this book should be read by people studying law, sociology, politics and social theory. It presents a key piece of study and analysis of subjugating oneself to the body politic and gives an interesting viewpoint into the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Social Contract.

10/12/2011 page 135
77.0% "Just reaching the tail end of this book and I can see why it's been so abused by people in the past. The way it's written, if quoted correctly, could be greatly misrepresented and his message distorted by people with malicious intent"