Allison's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Michael Connelly

Jul 20, 2011

bookshelves: readers-advisory, mystery
Read from July 20 to 21, 2011

A dog uncovers a child-size human bone in the woods. Detective Harry Bosch is put on the case to solve this decades-old murder. He knows it is almost hopeless because the murder happened so long ago. But the case haunts him and so he follows it to the very end, through several surprising twists and turns.

Connelly crafts an excellent element of suspense in this book with an intricate plot that won't let you put the book down. It's been a long time since I read a book so fast-paced and 'can't put it down.' Bosch is a gritty, aging, hard detective trying to do the right thing. The book is full of great police procedural details and office politics that only add to the story and give it its great realistic feel.

I haven't read any of the other books in the series so I did miss out on some of Bosch's background and character development, but I was still able to follow the plot very well. Connelly's style could be compared to authors such as Ian Rankin and Scott Turrow. For a reader that doesn't read a lot of mysteries, especially male-centered ones, this book was still accessible and very gripping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.