Valentina Heart's Reviews > A Mate Beyond Their Reach

A Mate Beyond Their Reach by Scarlet Hyacinth

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: glbt, m-m-m, glbt-sf-futur-fantasy-paran, the-romance-reviews, siren
Read on July 20, 2011

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

While I liked Scarlet Hyancinth's previous work, this book left a lot to be desired. For me it disappointed the most in the plot department and the writing style, which made me put the book down and pick it back up on multiple occasions.

It all started when Drew, a doctor, saved an injured wolf. Instead of saving an animal, it turns out he cured a gorgeous man who ends up also being Drew's mate. But not everything is so simple, because in addition to not being human, Trent is a spirit wolf and his just one bite can make a human feral.

Trent is both overjoyed at finding a mate and terrified by the fact his mate is human – something that is forbidden in his society. Still, he is prepared to do whatever it takes to keep his mate safe and allow them a safe existence together.

While on the run, they come face to face with Valerius, a man whose job is to protect the spirit wolves' secrets and the best way to do that is execution. But when his targets end up also being his mates, Valerius takes a different route and does everything to protect them.

My issue with this book for the most part was the writing style. The combinations of words made me roll my eyes and reading sex scenes written in such a way actually turned me off from reading another m/m story in the near future.

When it comes to plot, I found it predictable and over the top. Instead of focusing on the main characters and their story, the author wrote in a lot of unnecessary ones in preparation for the sequel. The current story suffered for it and the short and let's-just-get-it-over-with explanations of the events left me completely unsatisfied.

I'm not sure if my disappointment was due to the fact I know how good this author can write or if it was something else, but I hope the next one I pick up will be true to her talent.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mate Beyond Their Reach.