Lauren Smith's Reviews > Grimm's Fairy Tales

Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm

I'm glad to have read this, simply because fairy tale plots and themes are used so often in modern literature that it felt good to become acquainted with old versions of the tales and get closer to the original folklore. I also enjoyed picking up on some of the values of the time that come across in the stories.

That said, most of them are terribly boring. The method of storytelling is something I just could not get comfortable with - rapid, perfunctory, repetitive, bizarrely irrational. It was often disturbingly amoral as well, even more so than stories that try to be realistic about how life goes. There are plenty of the happy endings that have come to characterise fairy tales today, but happy endings were certainly not the standard for these tales - some are incredibly violent and/or downright depressing.

I'm not criticising the book or fairy tales in general for this; they're rich cultural texts that still influence literature today. But I decided to go with a subjective rating, which is to say, I did not really enjoy reading this, however valuable the experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimm's Fairy Tales.

08/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Lea Yes, this is how I feel. Well put.

message 2: by Nobody (new)

Nobody  Owens This book is seriously boring. The only stories I've liked so far are the ones you hear about often today. Also, "presently" is used way too much. It's driving me crazy! I want to finish it in case there's some jewel of a story I might find but most of the stories suck.