Beth's Reviews > Hushed

Hushed by Kelley York

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in January, 2011

I beta-read this book, and you are going to love it. It's dark and beautiful and totally unforgettable.

ETA:

Now we're getting near the release date, I feel the need to update this. I will start this with a warning that this book is disturbing and does mix genres, so be prepared not to have your 'typical' experince. Some will love it (I did), and I highly recommend giving it a try, especially if you're into dark/edgy/upper YA.

The best part of this book is the characters. I thought it would be like Dexter when I first started reading: y'know, (view spoiler). It isn't. Unlike Dexter, Hushed has real heart. It's about fear and guilt and paranoia, and when I rooted for Archer and Vivian, I wasn't rooting for them because they were some awesome Bonnie & Clyde couple blowing away bad guys, I was rooting for them to get better and find a way through their pain. This isn't wish-fulfilment. It isn't totally justified. Yes, the scumbags deserved something nasty and horrible coming to them, but perhaps not what Archer doled out for them. What I liked is how well Kelley balanced Archer as a likeable character and Archer as a dangerous person: I thought that it was excellently done (although some may not, fair warning) because we could see Archer as an unbalanced person (e.g. his hero complex and that rather unnerving short story) but also as someone who wanted to heal, and wanted to heal Vivian.

Vivian, however, was probably my favourite character. Not my 'favourite' in the traditional sense - she's dark and chilling and seriously disturbed (more so than Archer, even) - and she's not all that likeable. Her relationship with Archer is intense and unhealthy, but it really anchors the book, giving us both a sense of Vivian as a charming, stunted woman who pulls Archer in even as he's trying to pull away, and as a dangerous, manipulative force who has got so many second chnaces that she doesn't really deserve another one. A solid 5/5 for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hushed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley Marr ooo. You got my attention.

Beth Looking at FURY, I think you would like this very much. :)

I want to update with more info, but I don't know how much is too much...?

Wendy Darling Tease.