oliviasbooks's Reviews > Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances

Corsets & Clockwork by Trisha Telep

My rating of the stories I've read so far:

1. Ann Aguirre: Wild Magic: Tunnels, restrictive parents, powers and fairies. Something like that: 3 stars (read 2011).
2. Dru Pagliassotti: Code of Blood: Crime in Venice. Boooring : 2 stars (read 2011).
3. Jaclyn Dolamore: The Airship Gemini: ... is the only remotely steampunkish element in the 'story', which could also take place on the Titanic or the Oriental Express. Siamesic freak-show twins who are forced by their handler to let a fame-hungry magician separate them are saved by a vampiric love interest. Duh. 1 star (read May 2013).
4. Lesley Livingston: Rude Mechanicals: A 19-years-old, London-based theatre director falls in love with a steampunky actrobot starring as Shakespeare's Juliet. As boring, forgettable and incomplete as it came across, it has unquestionably been squeezed out by its creator to fill the designated spot in the anthology. 2 stars. (read October 2013)
5. Maria V. Snyder: Under Amber Skies: "Under Amber Skies" has been the most enjoyable story in this collection so far. It is situated in an alternative World War II Poland in a village on the Baltic coast. The heroine's father is an inventor whose wondrous machines (like kitchen tools and agricultural vehicles) are secretly powered by amber stones. The heroine's mother is a tough patriot who wishes her husband would concentrate on designing new weapons able to destroy the Nazis, who employ metal owls to spy out the enemy. When her father disappears and her mother grows more and more fanatic, the heroine and the boy she is not allowed to love become a target and have to use their wit ... and a special wrist-watch ... to survive. 4 stars (read October 2013)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corsets & Clockwork.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

oliviasbooks Kindle Version for only 1,00 EUR at Amazon.de. Yay!

oliviasbooks I WILL not buy paranormal anthologies anymore. Not even for 1.00 EUR.

message 3: by Teccc (new)

Teccc are you re-reading this? *g*

oliviasbooks What??? No!!! I am still reading this - since 2011. I planned to read a story, when I am too tired to grasp a complex plot, but unwilling to sleep without a dose of fiction. Next I tackle the Snyder contribution, I think.