Sarah's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Aug 11, 11

Read from August 06 to 10, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that I am a a big fan of paranormal romance, so the idea of reading a book with no romance was not initially appealing to me. However, the lovely Gigi at DDLF (www.ddlf.net) our paranormal romance and urban fantasy website site set the Iron Druid books as one of our August challenges.

And let me tell you I am glad that she did. This book is smart and very very funny.

The book is about Atticus a 2000 year old druid and his dog Oberon and their fight against some old Irish Gods. It doesn't sound particularly exciting I know, but the beauty of this book is the cleverness of the writing. Atticus is super snarky and his relationship with Oberon (a french poodle and sausage obsessed grey wolfhound) is endearing and amusing.

The beginning of the book can be a bit confusing and there are lots of references to mythology that people may not be familiar with. However, these references aren't integral to the plot and you can easily ignore them (or google them).

The book contains lots of snarky references to popular culture which are really funny, my two favourite being:

"Pillow talk in the modern era often involves the sharing of childhood stories or perhaps an exchange of dream vacations. One of my recent partners, a lovely lass named Jesse with a tattoo of a Tinker Bell on her right shoulder blade, had wanted to discuss a science-fiction television program, Battlestar Galactica, as a political allegory for the Bush years. When I confessed I had no knowledge of the show nor any interest in getting to know it or anything about American politics, she called me a “frakkin’ Cylon” and stormed out of the house, leaving me confused yet somewhat relieved."

"What sealed the deal for me was that the cloak wouldn’t come off without a generous donation of my tears. Those used to be almost impossible for me to summon, I admit, until I watched Field of Dreams. When Kevin Costner asks his dad at the end if he’d like to have a catch, I just completely lose my shit. Any guy who doesn’t is either in mixed company when he sees it or was blessed with an unusually sensitive father."

There are three books out currently, the fourth Tricked, is released in April 2012.

If you want a clever read which will make you laugh out loud then this book is definitely for you. Go out and frakking read it people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

NList I love this series! I thought this book was good...but the next two were great!

Sarah Nikole wrote: "I love this series! I thought this book was good...but the next two were great!"

I'm really liking it so far-I'm going to read all of them as part of August book challenges at DDLF.

NList They will not disappoint. I think the books get funnier the more you get in the series. I'll be looking to see how you like them.

message 4: by Serena (new) - added it

Serena I've been putting off reading this book even though I'm really excited to read it at the same time :-) (yes I'm weird lol) I'm moving this book up on my list now. Great review.

Sarah It's really good Serena-you will love it I'm sure :-)

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I loved this book. I can't wait to read the rest of them.