Charlotte's Reviews > The Darlings in Love

The Darlings in Love by Melissa Kantor

Jul 20, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley, 2011-challenge, arc
Read in July, 2011

I read this as a preview for a middle school girls book club. I was hoping to find mature enough subject matter along with detailed and descriptive writing to keep the girls interested. I found all of that here. Kantor does a wonderful job of pulling you into the lives of the three 'Darlings' as they now navigate high school.

Each girl has a story to tell about love, relationships, and especially friendships. Kantor examines relationships from 3 different angles as each girl encounters something different. While Victoria is in an existing relationship, she finds herself yielding to her boyfriends interests and somewhat losing herself as she struggles to hold on to him. Natalya might be losing her morals and Jane might be losing her pride. Kantor weaves us through these three girl's experiences effortlessly while keeping you glued to the book to see what is coming next.

I truly loved how Kantor delivers the messages along the way and definitely at the end. I think this book can be an empowering book for girls in terms of how they view relationships and choices within them. I can see many discussions coming from reading this book in our book club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darlings in Love.