Kelli's Reviews > The Talisman Ring

The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer

Jul 19, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction

I think this one is brilliantly fun. Heyer had such amazing pacing in her earlier works. This one has mystery elements, Robin Hood like elements, and witty dialogs. I tend to favor the young couple more so than Sarah + Tristram. I do love Sarah and Eustacie together as friends, and how silly they were about coming up with 'adventure' ideas. I know some have said that they thought Eustacie was a bit much, and I do think that at the beginning of the book she was at her most annoying. But she is a much more fun character than reading just about Sarah and Tristram all day. The stuff she comes up with in her head, so great!!

Ludovic makes me think of a Robin Hood movie with Errol Flynn, when we first meet him. I love his dialog. Heyer wrote him well. When we even first meet him in the book, he has this rich character already placed in the book. That is, definitely, a huge skill of Heyer's with her characters. She can create a character on paper, and within a few paragraphs they seem to be these rich, 3 diminutional characters, capable of many things as the stories unfold.

This one has to be one of her very funniest. Its hilarious. Especially the side characters -- Mr. Nye and what goes down with the bow street runners. Highly classic. Very very cinematically written, Heyer could have been a very excellent screen writer. The pacing is amazing, and I didn't know which way the plot would go very often. Sir Hugh is probably my hero. One of her most hilarious side characters. I dearly thought Ludovic was charming and had some of the funniest dialog.
Definitely favs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talisman Ring.

Jenelle Awesome, you said what I was thinking myself

Louise Culmer i agree the characters are wonderful, I adore Sir Hugh

Leslie Bell This book has my all time favorite character: Abel Bundy. His philosophy about trouble is explains Ludovic's personality and his perception of cautious cousin Shield makes me laugh out loud no matter how many times I read the book.