Matthew's Reviews > Exit Wounds

Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan

Jul 19, 11

I didn't intend to read two graphic novls in a row both done by women and both taking place in Israel. Sarah Glidden's "How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less" makes an interesting conterpoint to "Exit Wounds", and Joe Sacco's "Palastine" for that matter.
Drawn in a simple grammer of detail and gesture in a style somewhat akin to the "clear line" style popularized by Belgian cartoonists, the artwork carries the very personal story with wit and grace. Muted colors drop things in and out of focus within a given panel. The broad, cartoony faces have a full range of expressions, keeping the characters identifiable yet universal and accessable.
I enjoyed that this work wasn't intended as a primer or screed of Israel's politics. It is a family story of lost connections and disappointments that just happens to take place against the backdrp of bombings and shootings. The search for reconnecting with one's parents has the urgency of a detecive thriller.
If violence is a condition of a person's existence, as it is so with the citizens of Israel and Palastine, the is stands to reason that the murder mystery aspect of this story has a normal, almost mundane quality. It truly left me affected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit Wounds.