Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > The Sixes

Aug 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: review-on-blog, suspense-mystery
Read from July 20 to 21, 2011

After public scrutiny and disgrace, author Phoebe Hall decided to accept a teaching position at a small town college where her good friend is the President of the school. After the surprising murder of a student, Phoebe begins investigating a secret society called the Sixes. Not liking the attention, the Sixes retaliate by playing dirty pranks on Phoebe. As things escalate, Phoebe can only wonder if mean pranks can turn into murder.

There is a lot going on in this novel, so many characters are suspicious, mean, or hiding truths. Once Phoebe begins investigating, she never stops. Phoebe is an investigative pit bull, she grabs on to an investigation and never lets go. Mostly, this is a good quality because it keeps the story flowing and interesting. However, as the story goes on, the constant questioning is a bit much. Despite being seriously injured, she keeps pursuing leads. Towards the end, it’s fairly hard to believe how single-minded Phoebe is. Also, there is so much focus on investigation and the suspense, that the emotional side to the story is lagging.

The ending is not what I expected at all. It's not that I was expecting a specific occurrence, but I was thinking that the many various suspicious people and circumstances would relate better. Certain questions were abruptly answered, and others were just not explained well. After a thrilling and detailed build up, I felt a bit deflated at the end of the book.

I did like the suspense and the build up in The Sixes. I was constantly wondering who the murderer was, and what the motivation was. The book had me thinking, and I love it when a book has that ability. Overall, this thrilling and suspenseful novel is a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sixes.