Leland's Reviews > The Hanging Tree

The Hanging Tree by Dorothy M. Johnson

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: montana, short-fiction, native-america, the-american-west, american-lit
Read from July 26 to August 12, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hanging Tree.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Welch Was it this story or another of hers that was made into a movie? Or am I thinking of someone else entirely?

Leland The Hanging Tree was made into a film with Gary Cooper and Karl Malden in 1959. The film was (if memory serves) decent, but the story is much more moving. There are a number of other excellent (and one or two not so excellent) stories in this collection, all focused on interactions of white settlers and Indians in Montana and individuals getting caught up in the doings of western outlaws. I have trouble with some of her dialogue, but in general am very impressed with the stories in this collection. On the whole, I highly recommend Dorothy Johnson to readers looking for good, short, western fiction or people interested in fiction specifically from/about Western Montana.

Leland She also wrote The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance which was made into a film by John Ford starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart in 1962. I think this is the better known of the films based on Johnson's stories.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Welch That's right I forgot that The Man Who Liberty Vlance was by her. love the movie. really need to read her story the film was based on.