Emilie's Reviews > The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom

The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom by Jo Barrett

F 50x66
Jul 25, 11

Read from July 19 to 24, 2011

I have no idea how this book ended up on my Nook. Okay, I mean, I know physically how it ended up there (I checked it out from the library, downloaded it to my computer, and transferred it to my computer)...but I don't know why I chose the book...probably because it is set in Austin, and seeing as how I loved living there once upon a time, I wanted to relive those times.
Well, I've read worse books. This was certainly a quick read. The main character wasn't totally reprehensible, although the supporting cast were all really too predictable. I tend to really love my Nook, and read books that I wouldn't otherwise just so I can continue using the Nook. Obviously I didn't love this one, given my two star rating. Certain themes were introduced yet not explored thoroughly. And most irritatingly, it seemed almost as if this book wasn't written by the Austin tourism office...seriously, so much name dropping! Don't get me wrong, an occasional place name here or there makes the story seem real, but when the main character goes to X Restaurant for drinks, then it is perfectly acceptable to say that she later just goes to a coffeeshop (not Y Coffeeshop) after...not every location that our main character frequents needs to be an Austin landmark, thus explained by the author with a guidebook quality positive spin on every location. So yes, I guess one of the main reasons I chose the book is also one of the reasons I didn't love it...but hey, for a library book, I've done worse.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom.