Sheilagh's Reviews > The Snowman

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø

1916718
Jul 19, 11

if this had been the first book i'd read of the series, it would also be the last.

'the other end!' she exclaimed, removing her hands from her face. 'we'll have to begin at the other end. in bergen!'
'no,' harry whispered with the last air he had left in his lungs. 'bergen's not an end. could you ...?'

he looked up at her. saw her dark eyes fill with tears.

"IT'S MY PERIOD,' she whispered.

honestly. i'm amazed i bothered to finish. i was completely unable to get lost in the characters or believe they could be real people. snippets like the excerpt above just tell me the author believes very driven women who put themselves through law school and later work their way through a mostly male police force would use menstruation as a crutch. couple that with all the transparent naming of movies & bands and i feel like i know more about the author himself than i do about a detective about whom i've now read four books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snowman.

message 1: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie OMG... too funny.

Kate Remember, the character was in the middle of a breakdown - I guess that was Nesbo's way of showing it. I thought the ending was far worse. Heatloop round her neck whilst she balances on a melting snowman?? Come on! Also, his arms would have been ripped off if he'd had another man attached whilst he fell off a tower. No way. Shame, 'cos the rest of the story was clever.

message 3: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon You are taking that quote out of context. She was making fun of HIM. She played the period card, then laughed when he fell for it.

Joanne Boughton Gosh, you are being generous. This was my first book. This will probably be the last.

Scallopal Thank god! I thought I was going mad, difficult to read through the constant unnecessary objectification. I'm sure underneath there's a story but it's not worth it. I can't believe they publish this tripe, a ruthless editor is needed to drag it into this century.

Elizabeth I actually pushed through and finished reading this, and it was, true to your statement, the first and last of his novels that I read. At the moment you're describing above, I literally dropped the book to the floor and rolled my eyes. Maybe it was a joke, but it certainly did make me laugh. I felt like I was constantly stuck in the character's head, listening to him think about things that were ridiculously long winded and had nothing to do with the storyline.