Chris Wallace's Reviews > Thirteen Moons

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

M 50x66
Jul 19, 11

Read in July, 2011

I did not want to read this book. I started reading Mr. Frazier's earlier book Cold Mountain at least 3 times and was not able to get interested in the story. Strange as it may seem historial novels are my favorite and enjoy almost any of them. After finishing 13 Moons I now know that I will never read another one by him.

I thought the beginning of the book was very interesting and I loved reading it. Then it just lost all interest and became a maudlin love story. Not even a very romantic one. The characters were weak and not well defined. Bear, one of the main characters, seemed dull and liveless, except for the description of why the tribe women did not like him. Will the real main character was just love sick and aimless.

My only interest became trying to learn the 13 moons. I would love to have had more description on the moon cycles and how they pertained to the story. As far as I could tell the only connection was he was trying to put some Indian information and thought that using the Indian name for the month would make it an Indian story.

Hope my next book is much better.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Moons.