Lucy's Reviews > If I Could Fly

Jul 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from July 19 to 27, 2011

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this one. On the one hand, Jill Hucklesby's prose is gorgeous and flows like poetry. When I initially picked up If I Could Fly I found myself reading the first chapter aloud to myself to feel the rhythm of the words. I thought then that this would be a book to treasure.

But after a few chapters, Hucklesby's gorgeous-but-purple prose began to test my patience. I'm willing to overlook her strange writing style since the majority of the novel is written as a running stream of consciousness from a thirteen-year-old girl and like all pre-teens Calypso is both imaginative and imaginatively stunted. However, at many times throughout the novel Calypso seemed much younger than thirteen and I couldn't get a real sense of her as a character. I also didn't like the strange dystopian setting. Now I love me a dystopia, but this one needn't have been there at all. It didn't seem to contribute anything to the plot and felt completely out of place. After the surprise twist (which occurs after about 200 pages of nothing) I was hoping that the ending would make up for the disappointing beginning and middle, but I found it sadly obvious and unoriginal.

So I'm left feeling completely confused. I doubt I'll buy another novel by Hucklesby, but if she decides to write poetry, I'll gobble it up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Could Fly.