Stacey's Reviews > The Nanny Diaries

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin

1020736
Mar 31, 08

bookshelves: time-i-will-never-get-back, pissed-me-off, books-by-women, imo
Recommended to Stacey by: my mother-in-law
Recommended for: HA!

This book was a gift while I was working as a nanny. At first it was funny, with all of the little observations that all nannies make- mainly about a certain, small subsection of women who hire nannies- the wealthy, entitled, narcissistic bitches.

As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that the children are the losers, the parents have no business being parents, and the nannies do nothing to help make the family a better place. Instead they whine about mistreatment, go along with abuse, and try to replace the parent with their own immature version of love.

The account was infuriating because there was a great deal of truth in it, and it made me so upset (recognizing the same characteristics in children, nannies and parents of my acquaintance,) that I finally refused to finish the last few chapters.

What made the whole thing worse is that the book is written in a vain, selfish-masquerading-as-selfless, preening, whiny voice, that made me want to reach through the page and tell her to grow some cojones (and take a writing class or two.)

Thanks but no thanks, this book is a binner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nanny Diaries.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Marina I couldn't agree more and I wish I didn't finish it - it made me so depressed in the end. I guess it's time to create "so-bad-it-pissed-me-off" bookshelf for myself...

message 2: by Alice (last edited Jul 10, 2014 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alice Additionally, the nanny comes from a pretty privileged background. She has her own apartment, yes shared, in Manhattan, while her family lives in another apartment big enough to throw a party in. And she's going to NYU,not Hunter. Oh poor her.
The one point I thought was insightful was about the Moms. The full time workers treat you with the respect due a worker. The Moms who use you as an occasional help know how hard it to care for kids. It's the nonworking moms with a full time nanny that are difficult. I've found this is true in other areas as well. The antagonist in the book is in group 3.

Line I didn't like Nanny either. Also her 'relationship' with her Harvard Hottie really bothered me. They kiss once and talk on the phone on occasion and all of a sudden they are in a relationship? That is what 'relationships' are like in middle school . I will say though that in spite if her own privileged background I got the impression that she was fending for her self. She directly and repeatedly makes reference to working to pay her rent and perhaps because of that I assumed she was paying her own tuition too.