Keith's Reviews > The Turnaround

The Turnaround by George Pelecanos

Jul 19, 11

How many of us have not thought about how totally different our lives might be today if we had altered one small decision in our past? Not necessarily better but different. Perhaps it was a bitter word that should not have been expressed; or a gesture of forgiveness that wasn’t offered. "The road not taken” is undoubtedly a thought that everyone has entertained at one time or another and that’s a theme that’s really well handled in this novel. Three teenaged boys out to “raise hell” and prove their courage to each other confront three other teenaged boys that are protecting their home turf and defending their dignity and self respect. And then it all goes wrong and a tragedy occurs that changes all of their lives. They meet again, well past middle age and they try to make sense of what took place and how it has all affected them as the men that they’ve become. This is a gritty story about anger, blame and forgiveness as well as about the emotions we all share regardless of our societal differences. Although Pelecanos is a well know crime writer this is much more than a crime novel, it’s about people picking up the pieces of their lives after grievous mistakes and trying to make the most of them and, for some at least, to look for forgiveness. This is a really good read that’s tough to put down.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turnaround.