Reena Jacobs's Reviews > An Amish Love

An Amish Love by Beth Wiseman

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, 2011-reads, reviewed
Read from October 03 to 16, 2011

Expect my full review October 21, 2011 on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1R5

I particularly liked the first story, A Marriage of the Heart. An Amish man (Joseph Lambert) returns to the community after a bann and is forced into marriage in order to protect the honor of a deceitful young Amish woman (Abigail Kauffman). The first thoughts which came to mind was this couple was unequally yoked. Early, I worried Abigail would lead Joseph astray. It was beautiful the way love and patience transformed the couple so they both ended up pulling in the same direction. 4.5 – 5 out of 5 stars. Definitely my fave of the three.

What the Heart Sees was quite enjoyable, though the ending was a bit rushed. Still, it held my interest throughout though. In this story, we have an Amish man (Christopher Bender) wanting to reenter the community after a bann but his inability to forgive another member interferes with his desires. Helping him through his journey is blind Amish woman (Ellie Chupp) who believes her blindness makes her undesirable for marriage. I think this work would have been much stronger if so much information weren’t withheld from the reader. The information was doled out in a way that left me (as a reader) in the dark but offered no suspense. But like I said, the over all story kept me interested. 3.5 – 4 out of 5 stars.

The final work, Healing Hearts started out wonderful. I absolutely loved the idea of an older couple falling in love again. Though I’m far from their age, I could truly relate to their situation. My biggest issue is the story dragged out too long, and the characters got a little silly stupid toward the end. Partway through the story, a side character (Larry) was introduced with minimum information. Though he played a significant role to keep the story moving beyond the happily ever after, I knew so little about him, I lacked interest in his story line. 3 out of 5 stars.

One thing interesting about this collection, all the stories were in the same setting. Not just an Amish environment, but in the exact same town so that characters from on story mingled with characters in the other stories. Now isn’t that cool?

I received this work from the publisher in exchange for a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Amish Love.

10/15/2011
1.0% "I'm in an Amish mood. 400 pages is rather scary though. But since it's an Anthology, I can take breaks between stories."
10/15/2011
1.0% "I've barely started A Marriage of the Heart and I'm already liking it. Odd though... the blurb shows the main character as Rachel Yoder, but we're starting with Abigail Kauffman."
10/15/2011
2.0% "Muhahaha Her master plan Foiled!"
10/15/2011
6.0% "OMG, I'm loving this first story. :) I can't wait to see where it all leads."
10/16/2011
66.0% "I liked the What the Heart Sees, but it was a little rushed. Not as good as A Marriage of the Heart, but still good. Let's see what this last story is all about. :)"