Daanquai's Reviews > Sins of the Father

Sins of the Father by D.W. Marchwell

Jul 20, 11

Read from July 19 to 20, 2011

I really struggled with this book trying to decide if I liked it or hated it. There were parts where I found myself skipping ahead to get to an interesting part and then I would find a scene that kept my riveted. But ultimately, I just couldn't really get into the MCs, Charlie and James.

First, there was too many coincidences that brought Charlie to James: friend of his neighbors, James being his favorite "elusive" author, and then of course, the son of the man in prison he was helping. Most of the story was told from Charlie's POV, but every once in a while the author would head hop into James, and in the beginning, Charlie's longtime love, Jesse, as well. That would throw me off (I really hate head hopping to begin with, but random head hopping?)

Charlie was a little too judgmental at times, I thought (he really thought his relationship with James could never work unless James forgave his father? James watched the man kill his mom, for crying out loud. I get his dad had changed, but that's some heavy duty stuff to forgive. I kinda wanted James to telll Charlie off at one point.) Not to mention, there were to many fast forward scenes with the MCs, that I couldn't really invest in their relationship. At one point, I quit caring about them and found myself only interested in Caleb and whether James actually would go visit him before he died.

There were a lot of really touching moments in this book that kept me reading till the end, but ultimately I was disappointed. If this were just a story about Charlie and his prison work, I might have liked it better
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Father.