Kt's Reviews > If I Die

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: hardcopy
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Kaylee knows better than most that when your time is up, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. So when she finds out her number is soon to be up, she faces it with a grim resolve. Of course everyone else has the opposite reaction as they all scramble to find a way to save her. While Kaylee is trying to keep everyone from sacrificing themselves, she's also determined to stop an incubus from preying on the young girls of her school. Before she goes, she wants to ensure everyone is safe, but that will mean swallowing her pride in order to team up with Sabine, as she is the only other one who can resist him. But even her determination may not be enough this time as the clock is ticking, and there won't be any extensions.

Most people would have gone into a downward tailspin knowing that they would very soon die, yet Kaylee doesn't. Of course she does have a few last things she wants to experience before she kicks the bucket, but that isn't her main focus. Being who she is, it shouldn't come as surprise to readers that she spends her last few days trying to ensure her loved ones will be okay without her. The biggest of tasks having to do with getting rid of the nasty incubus teacher, which requires her to team up with Sabine of all people. Surprisingly enough the two of them seem to have established a truce of sorts. (Of course that could have something to do with the fact that Kaylee won't be in Sabine's way much longer.) As time goes on, I find myself actually liking Sabine more and more. She's just determined to have Nash, as she really needs him, to the point of dependency, so I'm not sure I can be angry with her anymore. In fact, I'm leaning more towards feeling sorry for her, but shh! don't tell her that. I don't want my dreams invaded.

In the relationship department there is finally a change to the stasis and stagnancy that has been existing between Kaylee and Nash. To be honest, things were starting to drive me a little batty there. I was more than ready for change by the time it happened whether it be a real reconciliation, or a separation, just anything to ease the frustration. I'm not going to say what direction things took, only to say that I am incredibly happy. All I can say is, "Finally!" Take from that what you will :) I know I'm being a little cryptic, but trust me you want to read this book and experience it untainted.

Once again Rachel Vincent proves just how good she is at shaking things up, and leaving her books quite unpredictable. I never know which direction things will take, and each installment leaves me on the edge of my seat from cover to cover. I'm always trying to anticipate the next shocker, but they still wind up catching me off guard, which only makes things more entertaining in the end. Of course there was one shocker towards the end, that made me want to throw my book across the room. Luckily I held onto it and saw how things worked out, because the alternative was unimaginable. What should have been the end of things, turned out to be a new beginning of sorts, with a very unknown path ahead. Things will be rocky, and shaky at first, but I think everything turned out as it should have. I just can't wait to see the aftermath.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Die.

Quotes Kt Liked

Rachel Vincent
“As a matter of fact, I was going to offer you something.”
“What did you have in mind?”
"A field trip. You interested in doing something dangerous, and possibly illegal?”
“Does it involve underage girls, broken curfews and assorted fruit toppings?”

Rachel Vincent
“You should be careful, tossing descriptors like that around in a situation like this. My ‘problem’ isn’t little. Unless you’re drawing some pretty wild comparisons. Please tell me you’re not drawing wild comparisons. Or blood-relative comparisons.”

Rachel Vincent
“There's a good kind of crazy, Kaylee," he insisted softly, reaching out to wrap his warm hand around mine. "It's the kind that makes you think about things that make your head hurt, because not thinking about them is the coward's way out. The kind that makes you touch people who bruise your soul, just because they need to be touched. This is the kind of crazy that lets you stare out into the darkness and rage at eternity, while it stares back at you, ready to swallow you whole."

Tod leaned closer, staring into my eyes so intently I was sure he could see everything I was thinking, but too afraid to say. "I've seen you fight, Kaylee. I've seen you step into that darkness for someone else, then claw your way out, bruised, but still standing. You're that kind of crazy, and I live in that darkness. Together, we'd take crazy to a whole new level.”

Rachel Vincent
“Only two years dead, and it was getting harder for me to feel…anything. I was starting to slip into the darkness. The numbness. And the worst part is that it wasn’t even scary. I was losing myself, and I didn’t even care. Then I met you, and at first I didn’t understand what had happened. What had changed. All I knew was that I wanted to be near you. Then you helped me with Addison, even though it nearly got you killed—I nearly got you killed—and I started to understand how special you are. But by then, you were getting serious with Nash. With my brother—one of few people in the whole world I still gave a damn about. So I tried to stay away. I tried so hard.” His voice cracked on the last word, and my heart cracked with it. Tears stood in my eyes, but I was afraid to let them fall. I was afraid to even breathe for fear of missing a single word. "But you kept pulling me back. You’re the brightest thing I’ve ever seen, Kaylee. You’re this beautiful ball of fire spitting sparks out at the world, burning fiercely, holding back the dark by sheer will. And I always knew that if I reached out—if I tried to touch you—I’d get burned. Because you’re not mine. I’m not supposed to feel the fire. I’m not supposed to want it. But I do. I want you, Kaylee, like I’ve never wanted anything. Ever. I want the fire. I want the heat, and the light, and I want the burn.”

“There’s an us?”
“As far as I’m concerned…” He leaned forward, his mouth inches from mine, and my pulse spiked. “There’s nothing but us.”

Rachel Vincent
“You're the brightest thing I've ever seen, Kaylee. You're this beautiful ball of fire spitting sparks out at the world, burning fiercely, holding back the dark by sheer will. And I always knew that if I reached out -- if i tried to touch you -- I'd get burned. Because you're not mine. I'm not supposed to feel the fire. I'm not supposed to want it. But I do. I want you, Kaylee, like I've never wanted anything. Ever. I want the fire. I want the heat, and the light, and I want the burn.”
tags: fire