Megs ♥'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jul 19, 2011

bookshelves: e-books, z-2011-reads, own-copy

I have to say I didn't love this book. I loved The Hunger Games (5 Stars) immensely. I enjoyed Catching Fire (Still 5 stars) almost as much as The Hunger Games. Those two books built so much suspense that I don't honestly know if I could have ever been satisfied with the third book.

Absolutely everything I was looking forward to for such a long time came to a conclusion, and whether or not I liked those conclusions isn't the point. The point is that they all felt so rushed. Primarily the relationship between Katniss and the two guys. I'm not a sucker for romance normally, but I really wanted to know who she would choose. In a lot of other YA books they are usually fairly obvious, but with this series I had no idea what the outcome would be. Then it's all wrapped up in a matter of a few pages, and that's it.

Another thing she did that I didn't like was change the characters so much from the ones we grew to love in the first two books. I understand with the war and violence all around people are going to change, but I almost didn't like Katniss in this book at all. Over the course of the series I enjoyed Katniss' character development, but I did not enjoy how she was portrayed in Mockingjay. Or any of the other characters for that matter. Without giving away any spoilers I'm just going to say that I won't be able to reread The Hunger Games and have the same feelings for certain characters after what happened in Mockingjay. Basically, in short, she ruined some characters for me, but it was her story to tell her own way, so I fully support her outcomes.

I would give this book 3.5 stars, because the writing is still superb. Suzanne can probably write anything at the point and I would give it a try. She includes a lot of twists, shocking moments, and what I would say was a decent conclusion to the story, but it went so fast! This coming from a girl who writes in at least 75% of her reviews that she loves a fast paced book.

*sigh* maybe I just never wanted this series to end, so I would have been disappointed no matter what.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

message 1: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hi Meg

I hope I am doing this right, may I request to borrow this book via the Lendme system?

Jeanette
Happy Holidays

Christopher I know how Jeanette feels I wanted to borrow this book from Meg as soon as she was done reading it.

It's a great series but everything in this last book is true to what Meg has said. Just wasn't the same as no.1 n 2

Sesana This is pretty much exactly how I felt about this book. I loved it, but I loved the first two, if you get what I mean. And yes, a bit rushed, though there wasn't quite enough to make for a fourth book.

Desiree I agree with all of this. I love the series, and have reread them all 3 times, but Mockingjay was just so-so.

Jackie "the Librarian" This book was much harder to read for me, too, than The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. The consequences were so much worse for Katniss. Real pain, and the true horror of war are presented here, stripped of the excitement of the game format.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa The sentiments you expressed are why I have not read Mockingjay yet!

Megs ♥ Lisa wrote: "The sentiments you expressed are why I have not read Mockingjay yet!"

That's hard to do! No matter how much I disliked some of the things about this book I don't think I could have not read it. I'm the kind of person that needs a conclusion, so I'm glad I read it. I just wish it would have been a little better and a little more true to the first two books.

Megs ♥ Sesana wrote: "This is pretty much exactly how I felt about this book. I loved it, but I loved the first two, if you get what I mean. And yes, a bit rushed, though there wasn't quite enough to make for a fourth b..."

Yeah, I mean we always knew it was a trilogy, so I wasn't expecting a fourth book. I just wish maybe Mockingjay could have been a little longer, and had a better pace. There were so many things I didn't mention either for spoiler sake, but it all felt like she was in a hurry to get it done and published.

Megs ♥ Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "This book was much harder to read for me, too, than The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. The consequences were so much worse for Katniss. Real pain, and the true horror of war are presented here, st..."

That's very true. I think she was thinking that the excitement of the games could be replaced by the excitement of the war coming to an end, but it was just hard to get to that point at all. Also, (view spoiler)

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I will read Mockingjay, but it is at the bottom of my list now--I am swamped with work anyway. I'm looking forward to the movie!

Christopher So many spoilers, you don't normally post spoilers Meg lol.

(on Topic)
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Megs ♥ (last edited Feb 09, 2012 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megs ♥ Chris wrote: "So many spoilers, you don't normally post spoilers Meg lol.

(on Topic)

what? o.o one spoiler in a comment only. Did I spoil anything in the review in your opinion. I don't want to so let me know and I'll fix it.

♕Shannon I couldn't agree more. It seemed like the characters were farther in the future than when the story took place.

message 14: by Isabella (new)

Isabella I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Megs ♥ Isabella wrote: "I agree wholeheartedly with you."

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

Frency AGREE!!!! SAME FEELING WHEN I FINISHED THE BOOK! -_-

message 17: by Evie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Evie Clark I would have given it a five, but then she killed Prim.