Sharon Salzberg's Reviews > Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation

Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg

Jul 19, 11

(Review from the author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Happiness.

Quotes Sharon Liked

Sharon Salzberg
“All forms of meditation strengthen & direct our attention through the cultivation of three key skills: concentration, mindfulness & compassion or lovingkindness.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Loving kindness is a form of love that truly is an ability, and, as research scientists have show, it can be learned. It is the ability to take some risks with our awareness-to look at ourselves and others with kindness instead of reflexive criticism; to include in our concern those to whom we normally pay no attention; to care for ourselves unconditionally instead of thinking, "I will love myself as long as I never make a mistake." It is the ability to gather our attention and really listen to others, even those we've written off as not worth our time. It is the ability to see the humanity in people we don't know and the pain in people we find difficult.”

Sharon Salzberg
“It is never too late to turn on the light. Your ability to break an unhealthy habit or turn off an old tape doesn't depend on how long it has been running; a shift in perspective doesn't depend on how long you've held on to the old view.

When you flip the switch in that attic, it doesn't matter whether its been dark for ten minutes, ten years or ten decades.

The light still illuminates the room and banishes the murkiness, letting you see the things you couldn't see before.

Its never too late to take a moment to look.”

Sharon Salzberg
“People turn to meditation because they want to make good decisions, break bad habits & bounce back better from disappointments.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Meditation is essentially training our attention so that we can be more aware— not only of our own inner workings but also of what’s happening around us in the here & now.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Meditation may be done in silence & stillness, by using voice & sound, or by engaging the body in movement. All forms emphasize the training of attention.”

Sharon Salzberg
“If you’re reading these words, perhaps it’s because something has kicked open the door for you, and you’re ready to embrace change. It isn’t enough to appreciate change from afar, or only in the abstract, or as something that can happen to other people but not to you. We need to create change for ourselves, in a workable way, as part of our everyday lives.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Training attention through meditation opens our eyes.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you can use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Because the development of inner calm & energy happens completely within & isn’t dependent on another person or a particular situation, we begin to feel a resourcefulness and independence that is quite beautiful—and a huge relief.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Mindfulness, also called wise attention, helps us see what we’re adding to our experiences, not only during meditation sessions but also elsewhere.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Mindfulness helps us get better at seeing the difference between what’s happening and the stories we tell ourselves about what’s happening, stories that get in the way of direct experience. Often such stories treat a fleeting state of mind as if it were our entire and permanent self.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Restore your attention or bring it to a new level by dramatically slowing down whatever you're doing.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Meditation is a microcosm, a model, a mirror. The skills we practice when we sit are transferable to the rest of our lives.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Mindfulness isn't difficult, we just need to remember to do it.”

Sharon Salzberg
“We use mindfulness to observe the way we cling to pleasant experiences & push away unpleasant ones.”

Sharon Salzberg
“We long for permanence but everything in the known universe is transient. That’s a fact but one we fight.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Mindfulness can play a big role in transforming our experience with pain & other difficulties; it allows us to recognize the authenticity of the distress & yet not be overwhelmed by it.”