Brandy Painter's Reviews > The Strange Case of Origami Yoda

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: childrens, contemporary-fiction, middle-grade, 4-6-realistic
Read on July 19, 2011

Review originally posted here.

Every once in a while I come across a book that makes me sad I no longer have a room full of fifth graders to feed it to. This is one such book. Let me tell you, they would fight over it like a pack of starving hyenas. Not just the boys either. Oh no, this is one of the books you can put in the hands of any kid (or adult) and it is guaranteed to be enjoyed. It will be best enjoyed by those who are familiar with the character of Yoda, but you don't have to be a Star Wars fanatic to appreciate the book. And there is so much to appreciate. The point of view switches between the kids contributing to the file are done well. Each section written by a different person is done in a different font and the characters come across as genuine, both boys and girls. The book is a mystery where clues to the nature of Origami Yoda are given and analyzed. It is also a real and humorous look at the awkwardness that is sixth grade. And far outshining all the other awkward middle schoolers is Dwight, creator and keeper of Origami Yoda.

Most important though is this: THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS! Not mildly funny, but side hurting, rolling on the floor, laugh out loud funny. To confirm the truthfulness of this and ensure it wasn't just me, I read several passages to my husband. His reaction confirmed it. Accompanying the story are amusing illustrations added to the case file by Tommy's friend Kellan. All together it is a perfect package of fun reading. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Origami Yoda.