Laura Summers's Reviews > Hexed

Hexed by Kevin Hearne

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: audio-books-i-own, bcc-reviewed, listened-to-in-2012, favorites, urban-fantasy
Read from December 07, 2011 to May 02, 2012

Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

Atticus and Oberon are back with aplomb. I do think that Oberon is one of the best urban fantasy sidekicks out there! I just love the relationship between him and Atticus and the way they can speak mind to mind. This time it's not Celtic Gods picking fights with Atticus, it's witches, and we all know how much Atticus likes witches! (if you haven't read the first book, a lot trust me! )

There are some super evil German witches for Atticus to contend with this time. Which requires him calling in some reinforcements in the shape of lawyer vampire Leif and Indian witch Lakasha.

Once again Hearne delivers some absolutely cracking one liners that will leave you chuckling away. If they're not from Atticus or the aforementioned superb Oberon, they are probably from Atticus's delightful old lady widow neighbour. And Atticus trying to modernise Leif's speech caused more than a few chortles.

Atticus now has Granuaille as his apprentice, which adds a new dynamic to the Atticus and Oberon mix. I do like Granuaille, but I wished Hearne had done some more with her in this book. I feel like she's become a bit of sex object, although there is perhaps potential for romance later on in the series, I think she could have been developed so much further.

Atticus just works for me as a hero, I love how genuinely clever he is and that it is often his intelligence that gets him out of trouble rather than sheer luck or brawn. Don't get me wrong he can wield a sword big time when he needs to, but he is a fast, strategic thinker. Although he does seem to have some rather strange sexual encounters.

This book is a fun romp that mixes humour, action and brilliant characters that are drawn so well they are almost living and breathing. The grand finale did not have the same pizzaz as it did in 'Hounded'. There is a good fight and plenty of drama, but it didn't seem to grab me as much. I think to a certain extent it is setting up elements of the story in preparation for the next book. But, that certainly doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, 'Hexed' still has the un-put-downable quality of 'Hounded' and at times I even think it was funnier.

This series works really well as an audiobook, helped by one of my favourite audiobook narrators Luke Daniels. It really is very well produced and executed, a good series to try if you've not given listened to an audiobook before.

VERDICT:

'Hexed' does not have quite the same spark as 'Hounded', but it is still filled with Hearne's excellent and witty characters and is now on my auto-buy list. And I'm already excited about 'Hammered', Atticus versus Thor... Bring. It. On! ;-)

RATING: 8/10 - Brilliant, couldn't put it down

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.

12/27/2011 page 4
show 1 hidden update…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-6 of 6) </span> <span class="smallText">(6 new)</span>

Gemma I thought Hexed was so good I went and bought Hammered!!!

Laura Summers I thought the first one Hounded was better, but I still really enjoyed this one & want to read Hammered soon! I do love Atticus!

Gemma I love Oberon and Atticus!!! I think I may have found someone who is cooler than Harry Dresden!!!

Laura Summers Oberon is so funny! I must read the Dresden files, I haven't got around to them yet.

Gemma Well, be warned the second book isn't that great. If I hadn't accidently started at book 4 then when back to the begining and instead read in order, I might have given up after book 2.

Its a good series though!

Laura Summers Thanks for the warning :)