Pamela 's Reviews > Darkfire Kiss

Darkfire Kiss by Deborah Cooke

(**Spoiler**)

This is book 6 in the Pyr series and we are finally treated to Rafferty Powell’s firestorm (about time).

Challenge coins have been exchanged and now Rafferty Powell will battle his arch-nemesis, Magnus Montmorency, a battle to death. Outside Magnus' home, Rafferty watches with surprise as a beautiful thief enters his home. She’s a thief with such an intoxicating scent that Rafferty follows her in order to protect her as her life is in danger after she steals a book belonging to Magnus.

Melissa Smith was a reporter once and is now out to reveal the truth about Magnus' secret illegal dealings and get justice for her friend who was murdered by Magnus. What she didn't expect was to be rescued by a handsome stranger and have such a sexual desire for him even after discovering that he’s a fire-breathing dragon. Rafferty is very much intrigued with this woman. She doesn’t seem to be afraid of him and he’s overwhelmed with such desire to be with her, a desire he thinks is just purely sexual. It’s later that he comes to the realization that it’s his firestorm that has begun, a firestorm that he’s waited 1200 years for and thought he would never have. Melissa learns the true meaning of the firestorm and because of what happened in a past relationship tells Rafferty that she has no desire to be his mate but will work with him to destroy Magnus.

As much as I love the series, I was a bit disappointed with this book especially as Rafferty is my favorite. Unlike the previous books, there was no romantic build-up between Rafferty and Melissa. I’m extremely happy that Rafferty finally experiences his firestorm but considering he has been the “romantic” among the Pyr, the one who has been longing for his firestorm and encouraging his fellow dragons to embrace their mates and is envious of the love shared between Pyr and mate, I found it surprising that there was no romantic build-up between Rafferty and Melissa. Instead they were brought together right away in the book. To me it’s the heat and chemistry between the hero and heroine that really makes a story stand out.

Another disappointing factor for me is the how and why Cooke decided to let the Pyr become exposed to the human race. To me the way they were exposed was ridiculous. I just thought it was better when humans had no inkling of their existence. It made them more special. Exposing them just didn’t feel right. This is why I didn’t give the book 5 stars. I really rate this as 3.5 stars.

In the end, if you love the series as much as I do, you’ll want to read about Rafferty’s firestorm.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfire Kiss.