Stephanie's Reviews > Midori by Moonlight

Midori by Moonlight by Wendy Tokunaga

Jul 22, 11

Although skeptical on how relatable it would be, I read it anyway. SO glad i did! I love this book!

The setting, for me, sold the book immediately. Based in San Francisco, landmarks, street names, everything was so familiar that I could easily pcture each location depicted in the book. The storyline made Midori's character more and more lovable with each page you turn.

Moving to a foreing country where you barely know the language (if at all), about to marry someone you fell in love with at first sight, ready to take the biggest plunge of your life... only thwarted by an ex-girlfriend showing up at your engagement party, rekindling feeling for your future "husband", and pushing you entirely out of the picture, with nothing but what you came with and a former future-mother-in-law ready to put you on the first place back to Japan.

You follow Midori's journey and persistent effort to stay in America, living with the only friend of her former-finance that she met and was able to speak to (he was Japanese as well), her search for a job with no work visa, and watch her learn English through soap operas... all while imagining the tastes and smells of her culinary masterpieces as she bakes her way through sanity.

Drama, love, sorrow, comedy, and CAKES?? Count me in!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midori by Moonlight.