Merilee's Reviews > Mister Pip

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

Jul 23, 11

Read from July 19 to 23, 2011

What a nearly perfect book, especially right after reading the original Pip (Great Expectations). A white NZ man introduces the black children of the tiny island of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea to Great Expectations against a background of civil war with the "redskins" from the larger island. I don't want to give any of the plot away and I recommend that you do not read the jacket cover. This is an intensely moving, lyrical book.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Pip.

Lisa It's gorgeous, isn't it! I loved the voices of the characters, he is such a skilled writer.

message 2: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Marilee: Do you recommend that I read GE first before reading this? I have read only 3 books by Dickens: Christmas Carol, David Copperfield and Tale of the Two Cities. *ashamed*

Lisa K.D. wrote: "Marilee: Do you recommend that I read GE first before reading this? I have read only 3 books by Dickens: Christmas Carol, David Copperfield and Tale of the Two Cities. *ashamed*" KD I think you would love Great Expectations, it is a wonderful story.

Merilee Yes, you would swear he had to be a young girl or woman to get Mathilda's voice so perfectly! Have you read others? I've ordered his most recent one on Kindle, and then another one whose name escapes me.

Merilee Yes, K.D.,
You should def. read GE first.

·Karen· Which is the most recent one Merilee? I just read Hand Me Down World, which was marvellous.

Louise I've been wanting to read this book. Must give it a go.

Merilee I think Hand Me Down is the most recent and the one I have on my Kindle. Did you read Mr. pip???

message 9: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Influenced by your review, Merilee, I looked up this author and his books. I had not heard of him, but based on this discussion and the blurbs, I look forward to reading his works.

Merilee Good!

message 11: by Mary Ronan (new)

Mary Ronan Drew What good advice, Merilee, to just pick up the book and not read the blurb. Have you ever found an old book in a book shop, one without a paper cover and a blurb, one you knew nothing about, and just started reading? Everything is new in an experience like that. You didn't know what other people thought about it, what was going to transpire, how it was going to end. Pure bliss.

Merilee Agreed! I don't like to read reviews until after I've read the book.

·Karen· Merilee wrote: "I think Hand Me Down is the most recent and the one I have on my Kindle. Did you read Mr. pip???"

Indeed I did. Fantastic book, one of the best ever.

message 14: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I never read the blurbs -- they don't usually do the book justice! Loved this book, was happy to find your 5-star rating.