Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: debut-author-2012, 2012-reads, blog-reviewed
Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

This debut 2012 novel definitely stands out from the rest. It's an action-packed, fast-paced future retelling of Cinderella and you really don't want to miss this.

It's highly creative and I applaud Marissa Meyer for thinking and writing about a Cinderella who's a mechanic(!) and also a cyborg. This is my first fairy-tale retelling that I've read, but it won't certainly be the last.

Cinder was a brilliant character. She was smart, could hold her own and she had this
The other characters, mainly the android Iko and her step-sister Peony I love.To be honest, the only things that I thought screams Cinderella to me, was the fact that she had two step-sisters and a wicked step-mother (Oh God, don't even get me started on the step-mother; I hated her) and the ball. Everything else was fresh and I personally think that it could not be a fairy-tale retelling and still be this awesome.

The only tidbit that I was disappointing of was the romance, or the lack of. Prince Kai isn't really swoon-worthy or interesting enough for me, and there was very little romance. And you know how I am about romance, they affect my whole reading experience, without romance - well, I can't even like the book. On a happier note, I did like the mystery and revelations, though I did have to admit after the first chapters, I guessed correctly what Cinder's true identity is. But I think the Lunars were exceptionally done well (they are mean but I didn't hate them) and I would like to see more of them in the next book, Scarlet (which is based on another fairy-tale, The Little Red Riding Hood).

The world-building was also very done well, and I adored Meyer's writing style. It doesn't overshadow or take over the story, unlike some books I've read last year.

Overall, I did enjoy my short time reading Cinder and I highly recommend it to you! Right I'm off. My headache just won't leave me alone. Argh.

My blog: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

01/02/2012 page 5