Stephanie "Jedigal"'s Reviews > How to Be Good

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby

Jul 19, 11

Read in June, 2011 , read count: 1

Shoot. I really keep up on adding books but I got behind here. It's been quite a while since I completed this.

My first Hornby read, I am happy to say I loved it. It's a frustrating story in many ways. The marriage that is the central relationship here is undergoing what some might consider to be a crazy and unlikely stress: the protagonist's husband has suddenly decided he is not a 'good enough' person, and his efforts to become a better human being include inviting homeless people into the family abode, giving away one of his childrens' computers, and refusing to eat a good meal instead of sharing it with those who are less fortunate. The wife's response to this seems perfectly reasonable on the face - outrage. On the other hand if you do feel strongly for people who have far less than you and not from their own fault, the challenge to do more can cause some internal reflection.

As someone who strives to be a good person and to be a good partner, and to be realistic about my own capabilities and desires, I found this book to be a great reflection of some of my own internal conflicts. Who am I? What is my purpose in this life, in this world? Who am I in this relationship? Am I living up to my own expectations? If not, does it matter? I especially recommend this book for people who continue to circle back to those, especially if those same people also question what they are doing in their relationships and struggle with love and loyalty versus self.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Good.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael About relationships will always be a question, in my opinion. Not so the personal ones, at least not for me. With age and some maturity, it has come home to me that those questions are insignificant, and therefore without regard. The idea is that we should not stress over that which is beyond our control....mgc